Part 2 Summaries
Module 5: Addressing Your Emotions
- God’s design for emotions and the role they were meant to play.
- How emotions indicate what we are believing and impact our behaviors.
- Emotions, our heart, and the Bible.
- Key Bible Passages – Galatians 5:22-23, John 15:11, 14:27, Psalm 29:11 + 85:6-8, Hebrews 10:15-17, Ephesians 3:14-19, Romans 6:17-18, and Luke 6:45
- The difference between primary (positive) emotions and reactive (painful) emotions.
- How mismanaged painful/negative moods can affect our inner life and relationships.
- How to manage painful/negative moods and reactive emotions.
- How to sort out our inner life/emotions with God and others.
- Key Bible Passages – Colossians 3:3-10, 1 Thessalonians 4:2-5, Proverbs 27:4-7, and Matthew 6:22-23, 11:28-30,, Psalms 103:10-13, Philippians 4: 4-7, James 5:16
Module 6:Addressing Your Pain
- How good gifts from God (like sex, food, alcohol, etc) can be misused due to the Fall of man.
- The addiction cycle and environments that help foster addictions.
- How mismanagement of pain affects our lives and the lives of others.
- What happens when “the Law” is misused with Christians who struggle with addiction.
- Key Bible Passages – Genesis 1:1-31, 3:14-19, Philippians 3:17-19, Ephesians 5:15-18, Philippians 3:18-19, Romans 7:5-8 and Galatians 3:21-28, 4:1-7
- The Biblical perspective of pain and its intended purpose.
- How the Bible addresses the addiction cycle.
- How God helps us to navigate our pain.
- Understanding God’s comfort.
- Key Bible Passages – James 1:13-17, 1 Corinthians. 6:9-20, and Galatians 5:19-2, Hebrews 2:9-10, 1Peter 1:6-9, Hebrews 2:14-18, Philippians 1:21-24, 2 Corinthians 1:3-5, 11:23-28, 12:7-10
Module 7: Communication
- The Fall and its implications on our relationships and communication.
- Four unhealthy communication styles during conflict.
- Identifying our personal unhealthy communication styles.
- Key Bible Passages – Genesis 1:26-28, 2:7-17, 3:1-13
- What healthy communication looks like from a Biblical perspective.
- Practical conflict resolution and communication skills.
- How to communicate our emotions and desires with others.
- Key Bible Passages – Matthew 12: 33-37, 15:16-20, 18:15-17, Colossians 3:12-17, and 1 John 4:7-19
Module 8: Re-entering a Hurting World (Life Skills)
- What forgiveness is on a practical level.
- The difference between forgiveness and reconciliation.
- The effects of unforgiveness on our inner life and relationships.
- How to forgive and be forgiven.
- Key Bible Passages – Ephesians. 4:25-32, Hebrews 12:14-15, Proverbs 18:19, Luke 23:34, Colossians 3:12-13, Matthew 18:21-35, and Luke 7:41-47
- Why trust/faith is so valued in God’s family.
- Why trust is critical for connection with others and God.
- How to trust again and how to actively trust God through daily prayer.
- Our fallen enemy and the role of prayer in spiritual warfare.
- Key Bible Passages – Romans 4:1-3, Genesis 15: 1-6, James 2:19-21, 1 Corinthians 13:11-13, Matthew 6:7-13, and Ephesians 6:10-20
- What boundaries are and their importance.
- The Biblical view of boundaries and how they are exemplified in scripture.
- What it looks like to establish and maintain healthy boundaries within relationships.
- Key Bible Passages – Matthew 4:6-7, 5:37, 6:6, 16:23, Luke 16:13, 1 Peter 2:22, Luke 5:15-16, 4:26-27, John 21:18-23, and Galatians 5:14
- Why living in community and learning to be loved is critical to being spiritually and emotionally healthy.
- How to be loved and how to actively love others.
- What a healthy community looks like amongst believers, and how to create it.
- Key Bible Passages – Psalm 23:1-6, Mathew 28:18-20, Mark 10:43-45, 2 Timothy 1:8-12, Psalms 34:8, Acts 2:44-47, and 1 Corinthians 16:19-20